CRUSH YOUR COLLEGE APPLICATION MUSIC VIDEO
Updated: Oct 23, 2019
You have talent. You would like to leverage that talent to help you gain admission to your college of choice. Here’s how to make the most out of what you’ve got:
1. Practice practice practice! There is just no getting around it. Master the material.
2. Memorize your music. Having a music stand in front of you can be problematic for getting a good camera angle. Staring intensely at the music also looks less natural & expressive.
3. Bring your teacher with you. Having a coach in your corner while recording can make all the difference.
4. Hire a professional accompanist. The accompanist is there to support your performance. Hire a good one and schedule a rehearsal if possible. We can put you in touch with our list of trusted accompanists.
5. Recording quality counts. The admissions board says it doesn’t. It absolutely does.
6. LOOK GOOD. Concert attire. Neat hair, non-reflective makeup...be camera ready.
7. Choose music that plays to your strengths. It is better to crush an easier piece than get crushed by one that is too difficult.
8. Perform with feeling. A passionate performance is a better performance. Sell it!
9. Come in relaxed & focused. Don’t schedule anything immediately before or after your recording session. Performing in the studio is a workout on many levels. Being at your peak energy level will give you the power to CRUSH.
10. Enjoy the studio experience. Being in the studio is thrilling, whether it's your 1st or 100th time. Repeat after me: “I am relaxed and fully prepared.” Now let's go in there and get it!
Noah Manheimer has produced hundreds of college application videos over 14 years. He holds an MA in Music Composition and is Music Director at Enchanted Garden Studios in Ridgefield, CT, where the production studio is located. firstname.lastname@example.org